Call to Coachella Valley Illustrators and Artists
Presenting the Coachella Valley Independent Coloring Book
Deadline Extended: Final Deadline Tuesday, April 14
The Coachella Valley Independent, the valley’s alternative news source, is partnering with the CREATE Center for the Arts and the UPS Stores in Desert Hot Springs, Cathedral City (Date Palm) and Yucca Valley to create a quick turn-around Coachella Valley Independent Coloring Book.
This is a tough time for us all. The Independent, like so many other businesses and community organizations, has suffered a devastating blow to our finances during this COVID-19 crisis. The CREATE Center has mobilized its 3-D printing capabilities—and those of others—to make personal protective equipment for the local medical community. And we know you many artists facing an unknown economic future.
Hence this coloring book project. All the proceeds will be split between the Independent, the CREATE Center and the artists whose work is inside.
Here’s how it will work:
• We will make the coloring book available as a downloadable PDF to those who purchase it. People will also have the option of purchasing a physical book, printed by the UPS Store, and mailed by the Independent.
• We will charge around $20 per book download, and $30 for both a download and a physical book (which will be 24-32 pages). Depending on the number of submissions, we may do multiple volumes.
• The proceeds after costs (printing, mailing and credit card/PayPal fees) will be split evenly between the Independent, the CREATE Center and the group of artists. We will pay out monthly through June, and quarterly through end of 2020. The project split will end at the end of 2020. We will promote the coloring book through all of our channels—and encourage you to do so, too.
• Please make the artwork locally themed, if possible.
• Because several artists have asked for more time, we have extended the deadline to noon, Tuesday, April 14.Our goal is still to have book available for purchase on Friday, April 17.
• Email art to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Specs: The size should be 7.5 inches wide by 10 inches tall. Send as a PDF, 200 DPI, black-and-white only, 100 percent black (NOT CMYK/rich black).
• The CREATE Center will curate the submissions. Depending on the number of submissions, we may not be able to include all of them.
• Include the name you would like to have as credit; a 2-3 sentence bio; and your website, social-media handles and anything else you’d like to include for folks to reach you.
Thank you all! Please be safe, and hang in there.