The Artists Council launched its second annual Young Artists Exhibition, presenting 83 juried artworks by students from 14 Coachella Valley high schools, on April 29.
AC exhibitions co-chair Ulrike Maria welcomed students, families and teachers to the opening reception at Artists Center at the Galen. Palm Desert mayor pro tem Karina Quintanilla expressed her appreciation for the Artists Council’s outreach to the community.
The jury, consisting of Katherine Hough and Emily Culhan, selected art that explored the exhibition theme TRUTH. At the opening, Culhan presented special awards to these talented students:
- Karla Andrade, Coachella Valley High School
- Joanna Becerra, Malinee Cookchit and Jose Toscano, Cathedral City High School
- Ivan Colin, Alejandro Morales and Mariah Young, Mt. San Jacinto High School
- Lauren Cruz de Ar, La Quinta High School
- Vivian Aliyah Guzman, Indio High School
- Amber Jennings and Quinlin P. Lee, Palm Springs High School
- Jennah Lopez, Esteban Olivarez and Layla Winchell, Palm Desert High School
- Ricardo Mendez and Lucas Zuniga, Amistad High School
- Parker Merlin, Rancho Mirage High School
- Amelia Misell, Desert Chapel Christian School
- Kenya Ruiz, La Familia High School
- Melanie Zdrojek, Xavier College Preparatory High School
The Young Artists Exhibition is funded by the La Quinta Arts Foundation. Additional program support is provided by Darlenna Burleson and Cynthia Buzzard.
The exhibition continues through May 21 at Artists Center at the Galen, 72567 Highway 111, in Palm Desert. Following the Young Artists Exhibition, the Fun + Games AC members exhibition and sale runs from May 24 to June 25. Gallery entry is free.
For more information, visit artistscouncil.com, or call 760-565-6130.
This was submitted on behalf of the Artists Council by Suzanne Fromkin.