This month’s mix features some of my favorite remixes—both recent and a bit older.
Remixes take a track and give it new life. For example, consider the Flashback re-work of Kiesza’s “Hideaway.” The challenge when doing a remix is to maintain the character of the original track while injecting one’s own ideas. Some producers use samples of the original song to create a new version; others will add their own arrangements, using a multitude of instruments. Actually, the word “remix” doesn’t always cut it; a more suitable name in the modern game might actually be “reworks,” because the process involves breaking down a track and re-creating it.
This month, I’m hosting “FRESH Sessions LIVE” at The Hood Bar and Pizza in Palm Desert on Saturday, Nov. 8. The show will feature DJ sets from Aimlo, COLOUR VISION, San Diego natives Boys Don’t Disco, and me. It starts at 10 p.m.
The mix is below. As always, enjoy!
- Figgy, “Take You Away”
- Vanilla Ace and Thee Cool Cats, “Get Close to Me”
- Astronaut, “Rain” (Centron Remix)
- Paul Richmond, “Commitment”
- Superwalkers, “Judge Me”
- Ten Walls, “Walking With Elephants” (COLOUR VISION Remix)
- All Night Shoes, “Come Around”
- Kim Cesarion, “Undressed” (Oliver Nelson Remix)
- Kiesza, “Hideaway” (Flashback Remix)
- Bordertown x EZLV featuring Freya, “Things Should Go”
- Toyboy and Robin featuring Nikki Cislyn, “Back and Forth”
- Mr. Gonzo, “Heart”
- D.V.S*, “Heartmaps”